Friday, June 14, 2013

Grady Hart- General Projects Coordinator- June 14, 2013




My name is Grady Hart and I am thrilled to be the new General Projects Coordinator for Pop Wuj!  I am currently a graduate student of Public Administration (concentration in International NGO Management) at James Madison University (much like one of my Pop Wuj predecessors, Grace White), which is located in Virginia, United States.  My undergraduate major was International Affairs, with a special focus on Latin America and Spanish language.  Having studied Latin American development issues for years, it is clear to me that education, health and nutrition, and environmental stewardship are not only key, but are in fact wholly necessary to building a sustainable future for any country.  It took no time at all to see that Pop Wuj’s benevolent staff is dedicated to doing exactly that and more in Guatemala.  

While I will be working on all of Pop Wuj’s projects (Safe Stove Project, Family Support Center, Medical Clinic, and Environmental Program), I will be devoted especially to the Scholarship Program, which offers small grants to Guatemalan children and youth to enable them to attend school rather than work to help their families earn a living.  With literacy rates among Guatemalans aged 15-24 now climbing to around 90%, I am truly proud to have a chance to contribute to such a worthy cause.  I believe that it is not the differences between countries and their people that define us, but the many similarities which unite us as a common people- Less than one week into my work at Pop Wuj, there is no doubt in my mind that this reigns true.